Friday, February 11, 2011

What I've been Doing


Last November, my sister in law, Julie, was diagnosed with breast cancer. Her good friend and co-worker approached me with the idea of making support bracelets and suggested black leather and pink pearl bracelets. I added some custom made SS charms with Julie's name and a pink ribbon charm. Left is a picture of the bracelet I made for Julie. It's a triple wrap bracelet.

I had the hardest time getting the pearls, if you can believe it. My first order was for five hundred pearls with Shipwreck Beads. They reduced my order to 200 with no explanation. No "sorry this is all we've got", "we didn't believe you really wanted 500"--nothing. This is a site that actually charges handling. If you're going to charge me for handling, you'd better handle my order properly. Reducing my order with no comment makes it look like you're just out to get more handling charges. Shipwreck Beads will not have my custom again.

My second vendor was Waltersbeads on Etsy. There was again a quantity snafu, but Walter was extremely responsive and apologetic and made swift reparation. Walter will be getting my custom again.

It's hard to get excited about beading right now thanks to my cat and his sudden change in . . . habits. Because of this, I have to leave my closet door closed which makes it hella freezing in there. The recent cold snaps mean all the space heaters have already been snapped up. This cold can't last forever, right? This is Houston, after all.

No comments: