Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Bad Girl.


I went to Amazon.com.jp yesterday and bought four new books. Yep. FOUR. Yoko Shimizu has had a new book out for months, and it's been eating me alive. I had hoped to pick it up in San Fran last November, but Kinokuniya didn't have it.

So I took it upon myself to get my own copy, and if I have to pay exorbitant shipping, it might as well be worth it, ne? So I also got a Best of Beads Bee, another book by the author of Beads Story, and a complete impulse purchase of a book I've never seen before but feature button jewelry. Its cover is this entry's photo.

While the shipping is expensive, I have to say it's good shipping, so they should be here in a week.

I also added new items to my shop on Etsy.

3 comments:

SwampCritter said...

There is a shop on Maple street in L.A. in the garment district. the name is Boehemian Beads. They usually have books as well as awesome beads.... there are quite a few in the So. Ca. area. If you can't get the add or phone and are interested let me know and i am sure i have it in one of my adress books.

Katrin mdmB said...

OMG OMG !!!! How did you do it?! I want to order from amazon japanese site too, but can't read any japanese... I have no idea what button to press or where to click. Can I log in with my amazon.com passwords there too?

LisaB said...

No worries. The site corresponds to the US version very closely. All you need are a few tips to find what you need.

Click "本" (books) on the left menu bar. Then copy and past "ビーズ" (beads) into the search bar and search. I use the drill down on the upper right to sort the results by publication date so I only see the most recently published. (The order corresponds to the English counterpart. Last one is publication date.)

They've put a lot of their stuff into English. Once you click to buy, I think you get offered the option to finish in English. I watch the exchange rate to try to get the most bang for my buck, especially since shipping is expensive. Be aware you'll probably be charged a foreign currency fee by your credit card company. Not huge, but still an additional cost.